THE ROLE OF THE SPIRIT BAPTISM IN PAULINE ESCHATOLOGY PERAN BAPTISAN ROH DALAM ESKATOLOGI PAULIN Section Articles
This paper presents the eschatological view of the Spirit Baptism in Paul’s writing. The Spirit Baptism and eschatology in Paul’s perspective are thoughts that function hand in hand with each other and cannot be separated. In Paul, Spirit Baptism is the fulfilment of the Old Testament promise in which God declares to His people that He will be with (stay among) His people through the pouring out of His Spirit. This promise is understood by His people as the eschatological promise of God. This pouring out of the Spirit upon God’s people should be understood as the doctrine of Spirit Baptism which has eschatological role in Paul’s theology. This paper will emphasize the background of Paul’s understanding of the Spirit Baptism as it relates to the soteriological dimension work of the Holy Spirit.
- Beale, G. K. A New Testament Biblical Theology: the Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New. Grand Rapids, MI: Bake Academic, 2011.
- Bruce, F, F. Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free (Grand Rapids, MI: Williams B. Eerdman Publisher, 1997, electronic edition.
- de Boer, Martinus C. The Defeat of the Death: Apocalyptic Eschatology in 1 Corinthian 15 and Romans 5. Sheffield: JSOT Press, no date.
- Dunn, James D. G. Jesus and the Spirit: A Study of the Religious and Charismatic Experience of Jesus and the First Christians as Reflected in the New Testament. Gran Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1975.
- _______________. The Theology of Paul the Apostle. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2003.
- Ellis, E. Earle. Pauline Theology: Ministry and Society (Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1989.
- Fee, Gordon D. God’s Empowering Presence: the Holy Spirit in the Letters of Paul. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 1994.
- ____________. Paul, the Spirit, and the People of God. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers.
- Hogeterp, Albert L. A. Expectation of the End: A Comparative Tradition-Historical Study of Eschatological, Apocalyptic and Messianic Ideas in the Dead Sea Scrolls and the New Testament. Leiden: Koninklijke Brill NV, 2009.
- Hubbard, Moyer V. New Creation in Paul‘s Letters and Thought. Cambridge, UK: The Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge, 2004.
- Hui, Archie. “The Spirit of Prophecy and Pauline Pneumatology,” Tyndale Bulletin, 50 no 1 1999, Publication Type: Article, 93-115.
- Johnson, Luke Timothy. "Life-Giving Spirit: The Ontological Implications of Resurrection," Stone-Campbell Journal, 15 no 1 (September 2012), 75-89.
- Ladd, George Eldon. A Theology of the New Testament, revised edition. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1993._______________. The Present of the Future: The Eschatology of Biblical Realism, revised edition. Grand Rapids, MI: William Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2002.
- Lincoln, Andrew T. Paradise Now and Not Yet: Studies in the role of the heavenly dimension in Paul's thought with special reference to his eschatology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1981.
- Manoussakis, John Panteleimon. “The Promise of the New and the Tyranny of the Same,” Pneumatology and Eschatology: Not Yet in the Now, edited by Neal Deroo and John P. Manoussakis. Barlington, USA: Ashgate Publishing Company, 2009.
- Pate, C. Marvin. The End of the Age has Come: The Theology of Paul. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing, 1995.
- Plevnik, Joseph. Paul and the Parousia: An Exegetical and Theological Investigation. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 1997.